Sunday, February 15, 2015

It's Not Who You Know (A book review)

I received a copy of this book from Revell, a division of the Baker Publishing Group, in exchange for my opinion of the book.

Everyone has a different idea of success. For some, success means having a fat bank account.  For some, success means people recognize your name.  For some, success means earning a particular title or position at their place of work. Finally, for some, success means being surrounded by a happy, healthy family.
Pat Williams, with Jim Denney, explores all these ideas and more, in his book "It's Not Who You Know, It's Who You Are".  Subtitled "Life Lessons from Winners", this book contains five major subject areas: success, leadership, family and friends, impact and influence, and becoming a person of influence.
This is a great book that is made up of brief lessons to be learned from many people.  Drawing from the examples and wisdom of individuals such as Walt Disney, Paul Simon, Martin Luther King Jr., Rudy Giuliani, and Tony Dungy, this is absolutely a delightful and insightful read.
What I appreciated about this book is the fact that I could easily share it with students in my Leadership class at school. The lessons discussed are brief and concise, with most between one and three pages.  This fact will make adding it to my teaching library a logical choice.  Additionally, I appreciate how strong character and right choices are emphasized, regardless of what area of expertise is being discussed.  For instance, I may not always fully understand what's being discussed from an NFL coach's perspective when discussing football plays, but I can easily grasp the wisdom of life lessons that are taught and learned on the football field.
I am grateful to have had the opportunity to read this book. I don't know that I would have picked it up otherwise, but I am glad to now recommend it to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment