Friday, June 27, 2014

FMF and #FMFPartySnailMail: Lost

I'm doing a smashup today of 2 posts, both closely related: Five Minute Friday, and the #FMFPartySnailMail project.  Read on!

Finding community is hard. 
There's no other way to say it.  
Seeking out that comfortable place, settling in on that common ground with others.......seems like it ought to be easy. 
But it isn't.  At least it isn't always easy.  
My husband and I are coming up on our 4-year wedding anniversary in a month.  So it's been almost four years since I've uprooted myself from the community that had been formed, shaped, built up around me -- at my workplace, at home, in the community in which I lived, at church and church events.  
I still miss it. 
Sometimes I have felt somewhat lost. 
But God is blessing me in amazing ways - bringing beautiful women into my life.  Shaping community in ways I never understood before.  
Bringing together seemingly "random" strangers together through (in)RL events. 
Opening opportunities for ministry in my home parish in Omaha.  Bringing together the "Pew Sisters" at my husband's church.  (Who'd'a thought a Catholic could fit in so well with Lutherans?!) ;) 
Slowly, oh so slowly, forming friendships with people where I work.  That has perhaps been the most difficult transition, where I have felt lost the most in the past few years.  
And with every connection, every thread that hems me in a little more, I thank God for His work.  
This #FMFPartySnailMail thing?  One more way our Lord is helping me connect to women in ways I never, ever dreamed I could.  Kaitlyn Bouchillon who blogs at It Just Takes One is the beautiful girl who has so faithfully put this project together.  Starting with just a small group of us, she is now putting together our third round of Snail Mail women...numbering almost 80 ladies now!  Remember way back in the day when we'd have penpals?  This is like that.  These short notes of encouragement, prayer, Scripture, faith-sharing make my day.  Every. Time.  

And as always, God's timing is perfect with the delivery of each note.  If I've had a particularly trying day, there's an encouraging note that appears with the mail.  If I'm praising God on a certain day, another note will come in that day's mail delivery celebrating and rejoicing with me.  
It's exciting to see the Holy Spirit work in the hearts of his daughters from so many places.  Iowa, South Carolina, Florida, Virginia, Canada, Washington, Arizona.....

Wanting to be found, and understood.  Because even though we may feel lost in this world, we know we have been found and loved by a powerful, almighty King who holds us in the palm of His hand.  

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful story, and I agree, community is hard. But so needed, right? I love the way God showed Himself so good to you, and this: "we have been found and loved by a powerful, almighty King who holds us in the palm of His hand."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh thank you, Angela, for your comments! I'm glad that statement settled in your heart. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. It's so hard to find a place where we belong. So glad you are finding so many friendships! I desperately need some girlfriend time, but my young children's needs seem to make that practically impossible right now. So glad God is encouraging you via snail mail. :) The Holy Spirit can travel slow or fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Jaime -- the Holy Spirit travels at just the perfect rate, huh? What an amazing blessing, your time with your children. Treasure every moment. Praying for girlfriend time in the middle of your joys.

      Delete
  3. I am visiting from FMF and enjoyed your post. You have a beautiful blog and I plan to come back and visit again. It was nice to meet you and read your thoughts about Lost. If you want to read mine you can find it at www.gr8tfull.blogspot.com. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by from FMF! Such a great way to link up and find some fellow bloggers. Looking forward to future connections, friend!

      Delete